Call to Artists: Reading Rocks Community Art Project
Gateway Mall is partnering with The ArtReach Project to invite artists to submit an application/proposal for “Reading Rocks,” an art project designed to bring awareness to the importance of childhood literacy. Reading Rocks is a sponsored community arts fundraising project for Community Action, a support foundation for Head Start.
- We invite you to create a themed rocking chair inspired by a favorite children’s book.
- You will be provided with a wooden rocking chair, primed and ready to paint, a protective clear topcoat and a $200 stipend. Artists will supply their own paint.
Who may apply:
- Artists, and artist teams, living within 60 miles of Lincoln are eligible to apply
- Artists who are new to, as well as familiar with, community art projects
- Individual or collaborative design teams are eligible
- Student groups working with a mentor/teacher are encouraged to apply
Proposals should include:
- Completed Reading Rocks application
- 1-3 design concept proposals sketched and attached to the application
- 3 labeled images of work created within the last 3 years
- The ArtReach Proposal Committee will process all entries/applications.
- Ten artists/chair designs will be accepted.
- Evidence of craftsmanship
- Relevance of design (chair designs must be inspired by and not direct representations or copies of any images used in books)
- Some experience working in a community setting is preferred, but not required
Art Location Description:
- Reading Rocks chair pick-up/delivery will be during business hours at the Gateway Mall office.
- A select number of artists will be eligible to create their work in The ArtReach Project space (next to Center Court) as an event that will be open to the public.
- The final chair display, celebration event, and auction are open to the public and will be held between The ArtReach Project and Center Court at Gateway Mall.
- Proposals due by March 21, 2018 (11:59 p.m.) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Artists selected and announced on March 25th, 2018.
- Chair pick up at Gateway Mall office on March 26/27.
- Work must be completed and returned to the Gateway Mall office during business hours by April 25/26, 2018.
- On April 28, at Gateway Mall, the chairs will be introduced at the Reading Rocks celebration event.
- Local author, Miriam Busch, and illustrator, Larry Day, will provide a story time, book signing and interactive activity.
- April 28 – May 5: Chairs on display at Gateway Mall and open for auction.
- May 5: Chair Winners announced.